Skip to content
  • Home
  • About
  • European Ancestry PhotosExpand
    • Ancestral Towns of Austria
    • Ancestral Towns of Belgium
    • Ancestral Towns of Croatia
    • Ancestral Towns of Czech Republic
    • Ancestral Towns of Denmark
    • Ancestral Towns of England, Wales, Scotland
    • Ancestral Towns of France
    • Ancestral Towns of Germany
    • Ancestral Towns of Italy
    • Ancestral Towns of Ireland
    • Ancestral Towns of Luxembourg
    • Ancestral Towns of Netherlands
    • Ancestral Towns of Norway
    • Ancestral Towns of Poland
    • Ancestral Towns of Spain
    • Ancestral Towns of Sweden
  • General Interest ImagesExpand
    • Beautiful Images from Europe
  • ContactExpand
    • Account
    • Cart
    • License Agreement – Terms and Conditions

Photos of European Towns and Villages

Photos of European Towns and Villages
  • European Ancestry Photo Galleries
  • Store
  • Favorites
  • Gift Cards
  • Cart0
  • Checkout
  • Login
  • Sign Up

Runkel Castle, Hessen

  • Return to Historical Sites of Germany
  • Visit store

Runkel Castle was photographed by James Derheim of European Focus Private Tours in July, 2015

Runkel Castle (German: Burg Runkel), a ruined hill castle from the High Middle Ages, is located in the city of Runkel in the Landkreis of Limburg-Weilburg in the state of Hesse.

As the hill had already attracted the attention of the Celts, it is probable they gave it its name: “Run – kall”, the Celtic word for “rock mountain”. In 1159, a Sigfridus de Runkel was mentioned in the documents but the castle was built a little earlier by a man with the same name, probably on the orders of the Holy Roman Emperor, perhaps Frederick Barbarossa, to protect the strategic pass between Weilburg and the southern side of the region. At the time when the castle was built, there was just a ferry. The bridge was not built until the Late Middle Ages.

Around 1250, a dispute over the sales and inheritance of the properties arose between Siegfried V von Runkle and his cousin, Heinrich (died 1288). In 1276, as a result of their quarrel, the cousin was driven from the castle. He went to the other side of the Lahn River, where he built the Schadeck Castle as Trutzburg and created the Westerberg line. Dietrich III von Runkel enlarged his Herrschaft in 1376 to the Zehnten (tithing districts) of Schupbach and Aumenau and built a more modern castle next to the original building. Dietrich IV (died after 1462), by marrying Anastasia the Wied-Isenburg heiress, gained the Grafschaft of Wied, started the Wied – Runkel line and increased his influence in his region. In 1440, the building of the stone bridge over the Lahn River was commissioned but, because of a dispute over the proceeds from the duties and tolls, it was not finished until 1448. In 1543 Philipp Melanchthon, the Protestant reformer, visited the castle as the guest of Count Johann IV von Wied-Runkel (died 1581), the nephew of the Archbishop of Cologne Hermann of Wied.

In 1595, a new dispute began over the castle, this time between the two lines, Wied-Isenburg and Wied-Runkel, and the County of Wied was divided between them. Wilhelm IV von Wied-Runkel was given the “Obere Grafschaft Wied (Upper County of Wied)”, including Runkel and Dierdorf, while his nephew Johann Wilhelm von Wied Runkel was left with the “Niedere Grafschaft Wied (Lower County of Wied)”, including Wied, Braunsberg and Isenburg. As a result, Runkel became the center of the Upper County of Wied.

View of the roofs of the Lower Castle. The red building in the background is the current City Hall of Runkel.

During the Thirty Years War, in 1634, the Croats under the command of an Imperial General, Graf von Isolani, burned the city and castle of Runkel. The Upper Castle was left in the ruins while the Lower Castle was rebuilt in 1642.

In 1692 Friedrich von Wied-Runkel left to his grandson Maximilian Heinrich von Wied-Runkel the Upper County of Wied, especially enlarged with Isenburg, which had belonged to the Lower County of Wied until then, and the County of Wied-Runkel was born.

In the eighteenth century, the castle often changed its name and banners as the armies of various countries moved back and forth across the valley of the Lahn. The banners flew above the Castle for the Electorate of Hannover in 1719, the Electorate of Saxony in 1758, the Kingdom of France in 1759, and the Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt in 1796 (after a night-long fight with the French in the streets of Runkel). In 1791, the Holy Roman Emperor, Leopold II, raised the County of Wied-Runkel to the rank of principality.

Under the Treaty of the Confederation of the Rhine (German, Rheinbundakte), the Principality lost its independence in 1806 and went to the newly created Duchy of Nassau on the other side of the Lahn River. The Duchy had been carved out of the old Grand Duchy of Cleves and Berg (whose remaining lands went to Prussia in 1813) but it lasted for only 60 years before it was annexed in 1866 by Prussia. In the beginning, for several years, Prince Karl Ludwig Friedrich Alexander von Wied, demoted to a minor nobleman, was the administrator of the new District of Runkel for his superiors, the Dukes of Nassau.

But Prince Karl was one of the last two surviving male members of the House of Wied-Runkel. He died in March 1824, followed a month later by his childless brother, Prince Friedrich Ludwig. With the death of the brothers, the Wied-Runkel line ended, leaving the Castle to the Wied-Neuwied line and its head, Prince Johann Karl August von Wied, their father’s third cousin.[1]

Today, the castle is owned by Maximillian, Prince of Wied. However, he resides at Neuwied Castle. Runkel castle houses a museum, a chapel, an archive and the private wing of the owner’s great uncle Metfried, Prince of Wied. The Upper Castle is still in ruins and inaccessible to visitors but it is still possible to enter the main keep. (Source: Wikipedia)

Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle
Runkel Castle

European Focus, Inc.

Address

1748 Independence Blvd
Suite F-6
Sarasota, FL 34234

Phone: 941-666-0668

Facebook X Instagram

© 2026 Photos of European Towns and Villages

Under Construction.

We are in the process of building our exclusive Ancestral Town Photo Archive.

Images will be available for purchase soon.

  • Home
  • About
  • European Ancestry Photos
    • Ancestral Towns of Austria
    • Ancestral Towns of Belgium
    • Ancestral Towns of Croatia
    • Ancestral Towns of Czech Republic
    • Ancestral Towns of Denmark
    • Ancestral Towns of England, Wales, Scotland
    • Ancestral Towns of France
    • Ancestral Towns of Germany
    • Ancestral Towns of Italy
    • Ancestral Towns of Ireland
    • Ancestral Towns of Luxembourg
    • Ancestral Towns of Netherlands
    • Ancestral Towns of Norway
    • Ancestral Towns of Poland
    • Ancestral Towns of Spain
    • Ancestral Towns of Sweden
  • General Interest Images
    • Beautiful Images from Europe
  • Contact
    • Account
    • Cart
    • License Agreement – Terms and Conditions
Search